Wednesday 2 May 2012

You are the people who make a difference

From the first moment we laid eyes on Felix we were in love. He is perfect!
When I first started this blog, it was heavy on my heart to raise awareness about how beautiful people with Down Syndrome are and how much they have to offer all of us. If I have impacted even one person's life by anything I have written here then I have achieved what I set out to do. I received a message about my blog this morning and I haven't felt this encouraged in such a long time. I had tears rolling down my face as I read it for the first time, and then cried again when I read it for the second time. I asked the person who sent me this message if it was OK for me to repost it on my blog. I hope it encourages other families of someone with Down Syndrome that there are beautiful people out there in the world; and I hope it encourages those who don't, to reach out to those around them with Down Syndrome.

This is the message I received about something which happened yesterday.....


Just Daddy and Me
"Today I made a friend at the bus stop, she is a grown woman who has ds. She was beautiful to talk to. I have never judged anyone in my life for any difficulties or disabilities they have, but your blogs made me want to make that extra special effort to say hi. This lady works mon to fri 8 til 430, she catches a bus to and from work. She is very independent but sometimes gets a little tired. She helped me as I was worried I had missed my bus, as this is the first time i have caught this bus. She told me its okay and reassured me I hadn't missed it. We hopped on the bus together and continued talking until she had to get off to go to work. She was very kind and beautiful and we will continue to catch the bus together.


I see now how a smile and a conversation, including someone in something can mean so much and make someone's day. Unfortunately in this society some people are still not accepting of all people, which saddens me. Your blog also opened my eyes as the woman I met today made me happy and my day. I enjoyed her company. I have been the one missing out. I have never excluded or ignored anyone or treated anyone different but nor have I included and reached out to anyone. This is what I'm most thankful for your blog inspiring me to make that effort. I look forward to seeing my friend tomorrow."


This person was very humble and didn't want any thanks, but I know those of you with loved ones with Down Syndrome will agree wholeheartedly with me when I say a huge thank you. I don't know the lady with Down Syndrome on the bus, but I do know that one day that could be Felix. What a touching thought to think that one day he may have a stranger start a conversation with him at a bus stop and be happy to sit next to him and chat. Maybe he will be able to tell someone what time the next bus is coming and reassure them that they haven't missed it. He could be the one to change a person's perception of people with Down Syndrome. 



I'm in love with this face
Sometimes I look too far into the future and start to get frightened about how Felix will be treated by others as he grows. I feel so protective and even the thought of someone saying something unkind to him makes my chest ache. When I hear first hand stories like the one I received today, it makes me feel so much more positive about Felix's future. Some of the fear goes away and is replaced by hope that there are good people out there who will love him and care for him.


Looking at my perfect little guy tonight, I am so thankful. He has already changed my life for the better and even though he is only 19 months old I can already see how his life has had an impact on so many people around him. I truly believe that Felix will be able to do anything he wants to do. He is an inspiration to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment